The impact of emotional abuse may be longer term and even more devastating than physical assault and yet most of the behaviours listed below are not crimes. Working through these issues and learning to safely and carefully push back on emotional abuse will enable you live a freer life and help you to identify it earlier in the future, before it seriously damages your self-confidence.
Emotional abuse can include such tactics such as:
– destructive criticism, name calling, sulking
– pressure tactics
– lying to you, or to your friends and family about you
– persistently putting you down in front of other people
– never listening or responding when you talk
– isolating you from friends and family, by monitoring your phone calls, emails, texts and letters
– checking up on you, following you and not letting you go out alone.