I passionately believe that good counselling empowers individuals to find answers within themselves; answers that will enable them to live with their own truth, be on their own side and find healing.
My journey into counselling began when as a teacher of adolescents in a Barnardo’s school, I came to realise that the impact of early life experiences on the growing child continues into adulthood. I witnessed this being played out in individuals from all walks of life when working as a careers adviser within education, training and employment and more recently working with adolescents and adults whose pain and anger were expressed in the form of addictions, self harm and risk taking behaviours.
While many of us may ‘weather’ a variety of adverse childhood experiences, their effects can emerge at various stages of our lives causing troubling and confusing emotions, symptoms and behaviours that interfere with our quality of life.
I offer a warm and caring counselling approach that is respectful and accepting of any issues you may wish to explore in an environment that is totally safe and confidential.
I have over twenty-five years of experience working with adolescents and adults in a variety of settings including residential care, special and mainstream education, statutory education, employment and training and a hostel for those who would otherwise be homeless.
I have worked with individuals with autism, Asperger’s syndrome and a variety of mental health conditions.
In addition to my private practice at The Eaves in Guildford, I work at Relate in Reigate as a young people and adult individual counsellor. I am also a student counsellor at East Surrey College.
I can help with a range of issues including depression, anxiety, suicidal feelings, post-traumatic stress, complex trauma, emotional, physical and sexual abuse, dysfunctional family relationships, anger issues, low self-esteem, isolation, loss, shame and guilt.
I have training and experience in a variety of counselling models but favour an integrative approach which combines a range of perspectives including:
Psychodynamic: to explore the unconscious processes that can interfere with everyday life and relationships.
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy: to explore and address the impact of negative thought patterns on feelings and behaviour.
Systemic: to explore how the sense of self is affected by and affects others within families, education, work and other relational circles.
Sensorimotor psychotherapy: to explore the effects of trauma, developmental and attachment issues as they are held in the body.
This combination of approaches gives me the flexibility and creativity to adjust my counselling style to the unique circumstances each individual brings to counselling.
- MA in Integrative Counselling – Roehampton University
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Level II: Emotional Processing, Meaning Making and Attachment Repair – Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Institute
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Level I: The Treatment of Trauma – Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Institute
- Relate Certificate in Counselling Young People and Adult Individuals
- MSc in Psychology – The Open University
- BSc (Hons) in Psychology – The Open University
- Sexualised Trauma – Zoe Lodrick, Sexualised Trauma Specialist
- Transforming Shame and Self-Loathing – Dr Janina Fisher, Sensorimotor Institute
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills – Assist Training
- Working with Complex Trauma – TAG (Trauma and Abuse Group)
- Taking a Trauma Informed Approach – CALM Training
- Member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- Member of TAG (Trauma and Abuse Group)
Types of Clients
I work with adolescents and adults.
I hold an enhanced DBS certificate, enabling me to work with children and vulnerable adults.
I have regular Child Protection and safeguarding training.
I would welcome the opportunity to explain more about how I work and answer any questions you may have. Please do ring to arrange an initial meeting free of charge. Thereafter my fees are £55 for each 50 minute session.
Main Eaves Office
My main Eaves office is in Guildford.
Phone: (07958) 001685